The courtyard of the enduring Moazzam Jahi Market performs host to the pageant’s inaugural play ‘Quli: Dilon Ka Shahzada’
Come November 18, the inside courtyard of the enduring Moazzam Jahi Market kinds an ideal backdrop for the interval costume drama Quli: Dilon Ka Shahzada, a royal love story between king Quli Qutub Shah, founding father of Hyderabad and courtesan Bhagmati. Directed by Mohd. Ali Baig, Quli… additionally rolls out the fifteenth version of Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Competition which presents 5 productions at Raddison Blu Plaza in Banjara Hills from November 20- 22.
The annual Qadir Ali Baig pageant is often 10-day affair with a large spectrum of performs involving scores of artistes from throughout India and worldwide, masterclasses and workshops. This 12 months’s abridged format can have productions with fewer artistes and even solo performs unfold over a weekend.
- Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Basis’s ‘Quli : Dilon ka Shahzaada’ (Urdu); November 18; 8pm
- The Hoshruba Repertory’s ‘Dastangoi’ (English) that includes Danish Husain on November 20; 7 pm; A pleasant journey throughout cultures and continents by way of the standard, vibrant storytelling format.
- Seagull Repertory’s ‘Shakuntala Ke Saath Ek Dopehar’ (Hindi) on November 21 at 7 pm; Written by Vaidehee and directed by Ok.V. Subbanna, the play that includes Bhageerathi is a modern-day have a look at Kalidasa’s Shakuntala by way of a glimpse of a day in her life.
- Alchemy Theatre’s ‘Striptease’ (English) Written by Slawomir Mrozek and directed by Heeba Shah on November 21 at 8.15 pm; The absurdist play is about two center class males who discover themselves confined in a single house.
- Rang Sanskar’s ‘Dona’ (Hindi) on November 22 at 7 pm; Written by Arun Kolatkar Directed by Daulat Vaid, the play highlights the ideological social distances between the younger and the previous and the traditional and fashionable, whereas questioning if human tradition is the very best.
- Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Basis’s ‘Alone’ (English) November 22 at 8 15 pm; Written by Noor Baig and directed by Mohammad Ali Baig, the play, a dramatised studying exhibits a yesteryear star reflecting on her solitude and the various characters she has performed in her life.
Tribute to frontline warriors
“That is our first efficiency within the new regular period,” says Baig including the pageant is a dedication to his father and theatre doyen Qadir Ali Baig as to additionally town and its individuals and thanksgiving to the frontline warriors — docs, healthcare employees, police drive, municipal employees, voluntary organisations and people ‘doing a fantastic deal to assist and get town again on rails throughout the pandemic and the current devastating Hyderabad floods.’
The imposing stone construction of Moazzam Jahi Market is surrounded by fruit outlets and bustling bazaars on its three sides; the monument was thrown open for individuals after renovation in August. It was Arvind Kumar, Principal Secretary, MA&UD who had advised the inside courtyard for the recently-restored Market as a venue to stage Quli which had been earlier staged at historic monuments and palaces like Golconda Fort, Chowmahalla Palace, Taramati Baradari and Van Gogh Fort in France.
Baig did a recce of the location (MJ Market) to examine if their efficiency on the open air venue could be disturbed by noise. He says, “A excessive ceiling and big stone arches (18 ft) envelope the house and muffle the outside site visitors sounds.” The venue was discovered appropriate for the manufacturing that additionally has a qawaali by the Warsi Brothers and a Shiv tandav scene that depicts Quli using by way of a flooding Musi to satisfy his beloved Bhagmati.
The Competition additionally marks a brand new starting for Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Basis staging reside performs after the lockdown. Sanitizing on the gate and contained in the premises, temperature checks and distanced seating are a part of the security measures that can be adopted. For example, the MJ Market courtyard can seat as much as 300 individuals, however solely 100 individuals can be allowed.
- Baig feels honoured and a proud Hyderabadi to current the play in an iconic web site that reminds him of grand bazaar of Istaanbul. Calling MJ Market, an idea forward of its time, he says, “I felt responsibility sure to bow to the final Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan to salute his visionary zeal and have a market place within the Thirties the place one can discover spices, fruits and different home items underneath one roof.,”
- Baig’s grand father Mirza Mehmood Ali Baig was Nizam’s particular attache. From spices to their kitchen and fruits to cartridges for his grand father for searching and fodder for polo horses got here from the market. He provides, “An enormous imposing clock tower stands testimony to the truth that there was a ruler who won’t have modified his sherwani too usually however he did every part to make it possible for the residents’ life shouldn’t be hunky dory.”
The Competition showcases performs with divergent themes and languages. The final day’s play Alone directed by Baig is from A-Quaint-Essences, a guide of quick tales written by his spouse Noor. Set throughout the lockdown, the play in a dramatised studying format options actress Suchitra Krishnamoorthi. Noor says, “The story is of an actress who’s within the sundown of her life and reminisces her previous experiences . Even because the actress struggles by way of the lockdown interval, it’s about her experiences throughout the remoted time.”
All six exhibits of the Competition can even be streamed on-line later for many who wish to watch it just about.
(Qadir Ali Baig Theatre Competition on November 18 and from 20 to 22; Inaugural play Quli at Moazzam Jahi Market is free however one has to register. Registration and tickets at bookmyshow.com)