Disclaimer: This text incorporates main spoilers for Vikramaditya Motwane’s AK vs AK. So, please watch the film, as a result of it’s good, after which learn this text. And in the event you aren’t so strict about spoilers, then learn on.
On the time of writing this text, I’ve watched AK vs AK (Directed by Vikramaditya Motwane, written by Avinash Sampath and Motwane with dialogues from Anurag Kashyap, shot by Swapnil Sonawane, edited by Bunty Bhansali, and stars Kashyap and Anil Kapoor) a sum complete of thrice. It’s one in every of my favorite films of the 12 months and I’ve urged everybody from my father to my mom, my mates, my colleagues, and random folks on the web to observe it. They usually’ve totally loved it due to the performances, the commentary on fame and artwork, and extra. However I observed a elementary distinction between my and their viewing experiences. They had been lacking lots of the within jokes and references.
For my part, the writers and the director have carried out a superb job of toeing the road between partaking informal viewers and being indulgent about it as a result of they belong to the Hindi movie trade and dwell in Mumbai. Now, since I eat lots of Bollywood primarily based content material and have lived in Mumbai for a few 12 months, I can catch most of these. Nonetheless, I don’t assume somebody who isn’t as conscious of both of these issues, regardless of residing in India, due to the character of their occupation or their curiosity in Hindi movies goes to catch them. Furthermore, because it’s a Netflix film and will probably be consumed by Worldwide viewers, they’ll be at a drawback as effectively. However I’m a easy man, I see folks not getting the Easter eggs and references, I make a listing to information them to it.
1. Mumbai Academy of the Shifting Picture (MAMI) Movie Competition – The setting of the opening sequence is the Jio MAMI Movie Competition which is, because the title suggests, a movie pageant that takes place on a yearly foundation and holds year-round packages as effectively. Within the movie it’s being hosted by famous movie critic Sucharita Tyagi.
2. Allwyn Kalicharan, Grant Resort – Earlier than getting on-stage, Kashyap and Kapoor have a dialog about doing a movie collectively. Kashyap declines the supply by saying that he had supplied by Allwyn Kalicharan and Grant Resort and Kapoor had declined him then. So, now they’ll’t do a film collectively anymore. Allwyn Kalicharan is an actual film that they had been Kapoor and Kashyap had been alleged to do collectively again in 2003 however finally acquired shelved. And so is Grant Resort. Now, whereas there are photographs of press conferences for Allwyn Kalicharan, there’s no such factor out there for Grant Resort.
3. Dil Dhadakne Do – Whereas speaking about how Anil Kapoor has gone from being a hero to enjoying fathers, Kashyap and Kapoor name-drop Zoya Akhtar’s Dil Dhadakne Do (His co-star Ranveer Singh’s title is talked about later by way of the road “chu*iyon ka Ranveer Singh”), which was really the primary film the place Kapoor performed the function of a father. What’s the massive deal about that? Properly, in India, enjoying the function of a guardian is like accepting one’s stint of enjoying the lead is over. So, sure, there’s a destructive connotation hooked up to that.
4. Mashaal – Kapoor illustrates his means to be shameless by speaking about this Yash Chopra directorial by which he had starred reverse legendary actor Dilip Kumar. Previous to that, he had appeared in films like Hamare Tumhare, Vamsa Vruksham, Hum Paanch, Kahan Kahan Se Guzar Gaya (Which BTW is name-dropped by Kashyap through the 52-minute mark after the duo depart the home to seek for the taxi driver), Shakti, Rachna, Woh 7 Din, and Pallavi Anu Pallavi. But it surely was Mashaal that gave Kapoor’s profession a much-needed enhance.
5. “Till and until your surname is Kapoor” – Whereas most Indian viewers will concentrate on the entire nepotism debate, worldwide viewers might not find out about it. So, right here’s a really watered-down clarification of it. Principally, there are a bunch of movie households in Bollywood which have made their mark, and now the newest era is making their manner into it. The overall consensus is that they aren’t as proficient because the earlier generations and are therefore taking away spots that might’ve been stuffed by precise proficient people. Kapoor’s daughter, Sonam, has usually been cited as a first-rate instance of that.
6. Abhinav Kashyap – In an try to diss Kashyap, Kapoor brings up his brother by saying that Abhinav’s flop movies have made greater than all of Anurag’s movies. Abhinav directed the massively fashionable Dabangg, starring Salman Khan, and adopted it up with the Ranbir Kapoor starrer, Besharam, which flopped extraordinarily laborious.
7. Mr. India – Kashyap title drops this Shekhar Kapur directorial for instance how Kapoor has “vanished” from the present discourse about movies. That’s as a result of Kapoor’s character within the movie had the flexibility to turn out to be invisible with the assistance of a watch-like gadget.
8. “Karan Johar ke second-hand jutte” – With no different quips left in his arsenal, Kapoor resorts to critiquing Kashyap’s vogue sense by saying that he has acquired his footwear from Karan Johar. It’s really one of many harshest disses as a result of Kashyap’s collaboration with Johar had led to the disastrous Bombay Velvet, that additionally starred Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma.
9. “Gangs of… Wasseypur” – The Gangs of Wasseypur duology is Anurag Kashyap’s most well-known movie to this point. It’s a cult traditional. It’s Sholay meets The Godfather. It was nominated for a BAFTA Movie Award. It featured actors who at the moment are dominating the mainstream Hindi film and tv sequence panorama i.e. Manoj Bajpayee, Richa Chadha, Nawazuddin Siddiqui (Who’s name-dropped all through AK vs AK a number of occasions due to his frequent collaboration with Kashyap), Tigmanshu Dhulia, Piyush Mishra, Jaideep Ahlawat, Huma Qureshi, Zeisha Quadri, Vipin Sharma, Vineet Kumar Singh, and Rajkummar Rao.
10. “My Identify is Lakhan” – Kashyap mocks Kapoor by saying that his days of dancing to “My Identify is Lakhan” are over. It’s one of the iconic songs from Kapoor’s profession and featured within the movie Ram Lakhan, a Subhash Ghai directorial, the place Kapoor performed the function of Inspector Lakhan Pratap Singh.
11. Sattar Information – All of the information channels within the film are pretend. As pretend because the information that’s unfold by actual, mainstream information channels within the nation. And Sattar Information is a tackle that and the way Indian information channels are typically obsessive about all the pieces and something occurring round Bollywood celebrities reasonably than specializing in, effectively, information that displays the state of your entire nation.
12. Aram Nagar – A ticker in one of many pretend information channels name-drops Aram Nagar, which is in Versova and just like the Silicon Valley of Indian media and leisure, and a hub for struggling actors to get their massive break. Hearsay is that in actual life, Anurag Kashyap is commonly discovered hanging round in these components of the town.
13. “Kashyap huye demonetised” – With the intention to present that producers have backed out of Kashyap’s tasks, one of many pretend information channels makes the aforementioned assertion. It’s a reference to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “historic” demonetisation transfer that crippled the Indian economic system and the film that Kashyap made i.e. Choked the place that black day in Indian historical past served as a backdrop.
14. “Kabhi kabhi lagta hai apun hello chu*iya hai” – Kashyap name-drops all of his tasks that Nawazuddin Siddiqui has labored in to let him know that he has no proper to go away his present venture due to the controversy. In response to that, Siddiqui utters that line which is a reference to his iconic line from Sacred Video games, “Kabhi kabhi lagta hai apun hello bhagwaan hai”.
15. Anurag Kashyap’s “Teri keh ke lunga” t-shirt – The phrases which can be written on Anurag’s t-shirt that he wears for the remainder of the movie is a direct reference to the quote uttered by Gangs of Wasseypur’s Sardar Khan (Performed by Manoj Bajpayee). However in the event you actually give it some thought, that t-shirt is an indicator of his destiny in AK vs AK as a result of, regardless of sounding epic, Sardar Khan really ended up shedding his battle with Ramadhir Singh. And so does Kashyap, that too with a little bit of lead in his physique, identical to Sardar Khan.
16. Airforce ki movie, Takht, Tom Hardy – For the uninitiated, Kapoor boasting about doing an airforce movie would possibly look like it’s nothing. However those that have been following the current trends in mainstream Bollywood films will concentrate on the sudden uptick in hyper nationalistic tales like Uri: The Surgical Strike, Kesari, Panipat, Tanhaji, PM Narendra Modi (Yeah, they made a fuc*ing film on him), Gold, Satyameva Jayate, and extra. So, the carcass of a helicopter, the CGI background, and Kapoor saying he’s doing an “airforce ka movie” is perhaps a sly dig at this development. Takht is a Karan Johar film that Anil Kapoor is doing. Now, I’m not positive about his movie with Tom Hardy. It’d simply be a joke. Nonetheless, if he does find yourself doing a movie with him, that’ll be cool!
17. “Apne bhidu, Jaggu ka thought lagta hai” – After Kashyap lays out the thought for the movie, Kapoor says that and the subtitles translate that into “this seems like a stoner’s thought”. However Jaggu is definitely actor Jackie Shroff’s nickname and that may be a reference to him and his stoner-esque persona. I’m not positive if he really smokes weed after which comes up with these weird film concepts.
18. “The primary life like movie with a famous person not directed by Shyam Benegal” – Benegal is an Indian director who has revamped 70 documentary and brief movies. Relating to his characteristic movies, he’s recognized for making life like cinema with notable actors like Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri, Smita Patil, Shabana Azmi, Kulbhushan Kharbanda, and Amrish Puri. A few of his most well-known movies embrace Ankur, Nishant, Manthan, and Bhumika. And this line is a reference to that.
19. Surinder Kapoor – The nametag on Anil’s IAF costume reads Surinder Kapoor which is perhaps a reference to the actor’s father, who was also called Karma and was a movie producer. He was born on December 23 (AK vs AK occurs on December 24, which occurs to be the birthday of Anil Kapoor. Neat stuff!). He served because the President of the Movie and Tv Producers Guild of India from 1995 to 2001. Anil and Surinder’s collaborations embrace Pukar, No Entry, Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai, Judaai, Idler, and Woh Saat Din.
20. “Mere andar ka Chembur mat jaga” – The impression of this line is admittedly misplaced within the subtitles, (Which simply says “don’t provoke the satan in me”) as a result of Chembur is the birthplace of Anil Kapoor. This September, the Kapoor household really got there to name a street after Surinder Kapoor. So, it’s a reference to all that, clearly. But it surely has a deeper that means as effectively, for my part. Chembur is just a little ostracised from the extra Bollywood-esque components of the town and saying that he’s going to go full Chembur on Kashyap means he’s going to un-Bollywood like in an effort to discover his daughter.
21. “Jagana padega. Apko andar ka Rakhwala, Lakhan, Munna, Nayak, sabko jagana padega” – All of those are names of flicks and characters that Anil Kapoor is related to. Rakhwala is a 1989 film by Okay. Muralimohana Rao the place Kapoor’s character Vikram has to assist a woman discover her father. Lakhan is his character from Ram Lakhan. Munna is the character that Kapoor performed in Tezaab, the place he performs a school pupil who needs to hitch the military however turns into a felony on account of unexpected circumstances. And Nayak is the 2001 movie by S. Shankar the place Kapoor essayed the function of a person who’s made Chief Minister for sooner or later (It’s referred to later as effectively when Kashyap mocks him by saying that the “ek din ka CM” can’t discover his daughter).
22. Anurag Basu, Madhur Bhandarkar, and Vishal Bhardwaj – On the way in which to the police station, Anurag Kashyap is confused with Anurag Basu and Madhur Bhandarkar and even known as somebody who shouldn’t be Vishal Bhardwaj. It’s a joke about how no one really is aware of who Anurag Kashyap is and the way they preserve complicated with the aforementioned administrators.
23. Komal Nahta – Whereas exiting the police station, Anil receives a cellphone name from somebody known as Komal who asks him whether or not he’s doing the movie with Anurag Kashyap. Now, if my guesswork is any good, that may be a reference to one of the fashionable film trade analysts and critics in Bollywood, Komal Nahta. He runs one of many oldest movie commerce magazines within the movie trade which is named Movie Data. I’m not positive if he has acknowledged this reference, however there’s a heavy likelihood that it’s such a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it second that even he missed it.
24. “Jhakaas” – It’s Anil Kapoor’s hottest catchphrase and he makes use of it lots all through the movie.
25. Eshaa Amiin – No, that wasn’t just a few made-up vogue parade at The Crescent resort which Anil and Anurag crash. Properly, possibly the occasion was however the model is actual. Eshaa Amiin has styled stars like Karisma Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan, Janhvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor, Pooja Hegde, Bipasha Basu, Chitrangada Singh, created campaigns for Amitabh Bachchan and the late Sridevi, and styled editorial covers for Filmfare, Forbes, The Man, Femina, Stardust, Exhibit, and so forth. And I believe letting Anil Kapoor be the showstopper within the movie wouldn’t have carried out them any hurt. The poor man was simply attempting to persuade us that he’s a doting father.
26. Casting Chhabra – Whereas wanting by means of the CCTV footage and noticing the actor/taxi driver, Anil says “What a casting Chhabra has carried out”. Casting Chhabra is definitely casting director Mukesh Chhabra’s company. He’s the casting director for AK vs AK as effectively and he has labored with Motwane and Kashyap in Manmarziyaan, Sacred Video games, Lust Tales, Bhavesh Joshi Superhero, Mukkabaaz, and extra.
27. Boney Kapoor and his film references – Boney Kapoor is definitely Anil Kapoor’s brother. Whereas speaking concerning the movie that Kapoor and Kashyap are engaged on, he refers to Taken, which is a few father trying to find his daughter earlier than he goes out of his attain. He refers to Guru Dutt’s Kaagaz Ke Phool, which is seemingly the primary Indian movie in Cinemascope and a few well-known director discovering star potential in a girl and the entire thing flipping on its head with the lady attaining stardom and the director going through a decline. Now, whereas these two references make some sense because it mirrors what’s happening in AK vs AK, the final one i.e. Authentic Sin is simply weird as a result of that’s a film a few lady and her lover attempting to con a wealthy man by marrying him, incomes his belief, after which working away with all his cash. On second thought… it in all probability makes some sense.
28. “This winter, assume f*cking neon” – Whereas narrating his tackle what’s going to occur in AK vs AK, Harshvardhan Kapoor, Anil Kapoor’s son, says this and that’s the tagline of Allwyn Kalicharan.
— Anurag Kashyap (@anuragkashyap72) December 14, 2018
29. “Motwane f*cked me with Bhavesh” – Harshvardhan’s second movie, Bhavesh Joshi Superhero, directed by Vikramaditya Motwane, was a box-office bomb. It is a reference to that. Fairly ballsy of Motwane to take pictures at himself like this.
30. “Sonam ki ungli gayi” – Resulting from Harshvardhan’s intervention, Sonam loses her finger, apparently. Now, that may be part of the entire scare ways. But it surely will also be a reference to Inspector Sartaj Singh (Saif Ali Khan) shedding his finger in Sacred Video games, a venture each Kashyap and Motwane labored on.
31. “Nayak Returns” – After a heated struggle with Anurag, Kapoor says that he’s giving up and Kashyap simply must state his phrases. In response to that, Kashyap says that it isn’t about him, it’s about Kapoor as a result of that is his comeback movie and mockingly titles it Nayak Returns. Seems, Kapoor was actually supposed to appear in a sequel to the 2001 movie, Nayak, and Nayak Returns was going to be the title of the movie. The announcement was made by commerce analyst Taran Adarsh again in 2017. Properly, it’s 2020 and there aren’t any additional updates on that.
32. Anees Bazmee – In a hilarious dialog between a taxi driver and Kapoor, Anees Bazmee’s title comes up. Kapoor has labored with Bazmee in No Entry, Welcome, Welcome Again, Mubarakan, and Pagalpanti. I’m fairly positive that it is a diss.
33. Anil Kapoor’s rant in entrance of Anurag Kashyap – Kapoor makes a bunch of revelations about Kashyap right here. He was the one who introduced in Kashyap because the dialogue-writer of Nayak. Kapoor did the muhurat/opening clap for Kashyap’s unreleased however technically first movie, Paanch. And apparently, he paid the primary installment for Kashyap’s first home. That’s some deep shit proper there.
34. “Daniel ka Day-Lewis ho gaya. There may be blood!” – Daniel Day-Lewis is legendary for his technique appearing, which is one thing that Kapoor is doing within the film inside AK vs AK. And Day-Lewis has carried out a film known as There Will Be Blood. So, Kashyap makes a reference to that to handle Kapoor bleeding out on the road.
35. “Yaha mere ma baap rehte hai, unko pehli hello bhakton se dhamki mil rakhi hai” – Through the film’s penultimate twist, Kashyap and Kapoor arrive on the director’s Versova dwelling. Now, the time period “bhakton” is perhaps new for Indians as effectively, particularly in the event that they don’t spend each waking minute on Twitter. Hindu “nationalists” whose defining trait is being a fan of PM Narendra Modi or the Bharatiya Janata Get together (BJP) and defending them with bigotry are known as bhakts. Kashyap is legendary for being critical of Modi and the BJP-led Authorities, thereby making him one of many main targets for bhakts. Additionally, these bhakts don’t cease there and after some extent they begin taking private jibes at one’s mother and father as effectively. So, I believe that’s what Kashyap is referring to.
36. United Mills, Byculla – The finale takes place within the aforementioned location. It is perhaps a reference to Sacred Video games as a result of a serious portion of the present was shot in Byculla and the decrepit nature of the textile mills form of resembles the place the place the finale of Sacred Video games Season 1 was shot.
37. Harshvardhan Kapoor Superhero – Regardless of dissing Motwane for f*cking him with Bhavesh Joshi Superhero, it’s evident that he was simply mendacity to spice up Kashyap’s ego. He’s nonetheless a fan of the film as a result of he’s seen sporting the film’s wallpaper in his cellphone and he shouts “Insaaf” whereas driving his automotive into Anil, which is the war-cry that his character utilized in Bhavesh Joshi Superhero.
Ya like to see it.
— Pramit Chatterjee (@pramitheus) December 27, 2020
38. Kashyap ka badla – Now, I’m not very positive about this however a fan has pointed out that the framing and tone of the ultimate shot the place we see the digicam shifting from the TV to Kashyap uttering a model of the enduring “Baap ka, dada ka, bhai ka, sabka badla lega re tera Faizal” line is a reference to the opening scene of Gangs of Wasseypur the place the digicam strikes in the same manner from the TV display to a bunch of individuals watching it earlier than shit goes south.
That’s it. These are all of the film and IRL references that I caught whereas watching AK vs AK. I’m positive there are various extra that Motwane, Sampath, and Kashyap have hidden in each web page of the script and each body of the film. So, in the event you spot any that aren’t talked about right here in my record, please let me know as a result of that may give me an excuse to observe the film yet again. In case you noticing among the above-mentioned references for the primary time right here, then go and watch the film once more and see if you may get it this time. And hear, even in the event you can’t get the references and nonetheless respect what’s on show within the film, it’s okay. These easter eggs are simply there to spice issues up. Oh, and don’t neglect to ship your like to all of the individuals who have labored on AK vs AK and inform it to the world as effectively in order that we are able to get extra high quality films like this.
Cowl art work by Bhavya Poonia/Mashable India